With South Carolina schools starting back very soon, it is important to watch out for children walking, buses stopping, and more traffic on the roads.
While riding a school bus is considered one of the safest ways for children to be taken to school, negligent drivers could cause an accident and potentially cause harm.
Some ways you can be extra careful when driving near a school bus include the following:
- Follow the bus further back to allow for plenty of time to stop when the bus's yellow lights start flashing. It is best to give more space for a bus than you would a car.
- Never pass a school bus when it is stopped. Children may be loading onto or unloading from the bus.
- If a school bus has yellow or red flashing lights, and the stop arm is extended, you and other traffic MUST stop.
- Remember to leave enough space between your vehicle and the school bus to allow children safe passage to their home or stop.
- Be alert. Children are not always predictable and may run out in front of your vehicle.
Many factors play a role in an accident but being aware of your surroundings and limiting distractions are key to safe driving.
If you or your loved one are seriously injured in an accident, you may need an experience personal injury attorney to get you the benefits you need.
Voted Best Attorney in Myrtle Beach by the readers of the Myrtle Beach Herald and Voted Best Attorney in Conway by the readers of the Horry Independent, SC Personal Injury Lawyer Dirk Derrick focuses on car accidents, motorcycle accidents, workers' compensation, personal injury, slip and fall accidents, and other insurance claims since 1991.
For a free consultation, contact The Derrick Law Firm at 843-248-7486.
We serve the state of South Carolina and offer office locations in Charleston, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Conway, Mt. Pleasant, and North Charleston.