As everyone knows, Labor Day weekend is the last big hoo-rah of the summer. Many families travel to celebrate the three-day weekend from work and school and because of this, traffic is often brutal across the country. Besides having a great time, safety is a goal for every family. Reducing your chances for an accident and making your drive enjoyable is possible by following a few simple steps.
Below are driving tips to keep your family safe for the upcoming weekend:
Get your vehicle serviced
- Check the air pressure in your car's tires before heading out on a long trip.
- Make sure all fluid levels are at appropriate amounts.
- Check for wear and tear of wiper blades.
- Test the working order of all lights and signals.
If your car is serviced and in good working condition, you are less likely to experience difficulties or malfunctions once on the road.
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle in the event of car trouble or an accident.
- Be well rested and sober any time you are behind the wheel.
- Make sure all passengers are wearing a seat belt.
- Obey the laws of the road.
- Limit your distractions- put away your phone, keep music at appropriate levels, focus on the road instead of passengers in the car, etc...
- Drive defensively- watch out for others on the road.
Being aware of your surroundings, limiting yours distractions, and driving defensively are crucial for decreasing your likelihood of being in an accident.
- Determine the most likely congested times of travel to and from your destination. Then, begin and end your travel times a few hours prior or after to reduce the time you are stuck in traffic.
- Before heading out on the road, research alternate routes in the event of an accident or inclement weather.
By following these guidelines, you and your family can reduce your risk of an accident while traveling this Labor Day weekend. Unfortunately, it is impossible to prevent every accident and many times those involved become serious injured.
Have You Suffered A Personal Injury Due To The Neglect Of Others?
If you've been hurt due to the neglect of someone else you need to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Conway, South Carolina office directly at 843.484.0707 to schedule your free consultation. We are also able to meet clients at our Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, Columbia, North Myrtle Beach or North Charleston office locations.