Frequently Asked Questions About SC Personal Injury Lawsuits

How long do I have to file a personal injury claim? What if the driver who hit me is uninsured? Why do I need to hire a personal injury lawyer?

We answer these questions and many more in our collection of frequently asked questions. Unlike many websites that provide brief yes-or-no answers to important legal questions like these, we provide detailed answers to help you get a better idea of your rights, your options, and what you can hope for in the future.

If your questions are not answered here, feel free to connect with us through our website, or call us at 843-488-5360, to speak directly with us about your legal concerns.

  • Page 1
  • How long will it take to receive a check after I settle my North Charleston car accident claim?

    South Carolina Car Accident Settlement Derrick Law FirmIf you’re injured by a negligent driver in a North Charleston car accident, you may file a claim for your damages against the at-fault driver’s insurance company. When you’re facing medical bills, car repair expenses, recovery, and more, you need compensation as soon as possible. 

    In most cases, you’ll receive your check a few weeks after the claim is settled. Before the check can even be issued, though, there’s a settlement process that usually takes at least a few months.

    Steps In A North Charleston Car Accident Settlement Process

    The process of receiving an insurance settlement has several steps.

    Verifying insurance and filing claims.

    Your attorney will obtain the insurance policy of the defendant(s) in your case and notify the insurance companies that you’re filing claims against them. In some cases, one of the companies could be yours.


    Your lawyer will investigate your accident and collect evidence. This may include police reports, medical reports, photographs, medical bills, other accident-related bills, wage statements, and witness statements.

    Waiting for MMI.

    Your attorney will want to wait until you’ve reached maximum medical improvement (MMI) before actually filing your claim. MMI is the point at which you’ve recovered as much as you’re going to. Only then do you know what your future medical needs and expenses, lost wages, and disabilities might be. If you file your claim too soon, you might have unforeseen medical issues for which you cannot claim further compensation. 

    Demand letter.

    Once you’ve reached MMI, your lawyer will send the insurance company a demand letter including evidence of the at-fault driver’s negligence, your itemized medical expenses, your lost wage statements, and a calculation of damages for your pain and suffering.


    The insurance company will probably respond with an offer lower than what you’re demanding. Your attorney will then begin negotiations to get a fair award, which might require additional evidence or statements from expert witnesses.

    A lawsuit (if necessary).

    If the insurance company refuses to offer a reasonable settlement, your attorney will take your case to court. It’s always possible that a settlement will be reached before a trial actually begins.

    It’s difficult to estimate how long your particular settlement process might take. In most cases, you should allow a few months before your check is issued. Some cases can take much longer, depending on:

    • Severity of injuries
    • Quality of evidence
    • Recovery time before MMI
    • Multiple defendants
    • A dispute or denial by the insurance company
    • A trial

    What Happens Following A Settlement To Your South Carolina Car Accident?

    Once the settlement process is complete, a check can be issued by the insurance company, and another multi-step process begins:

    1. Releases and other documents are signed.
    2. The insurance company issues a check.
    3. Your attorney deposits the check in an escrow account and pays your liens. This includes unpaid medical bills, any deductibles or other bills from your health insurance company, unpaid child support, outstanding taxes, and any Medicare or Medicaid costs. 
    4. Your attorney deducts legal fees, court costs, etc.
    5. Your attorney forwards a check to you. 

    Other Factors To Consider Regarding Settlement After A Car Accident

    In most cases, you can probably expect your check a few to several weeks after your claim is settled, but there are other factors that can affect how long you wait:

    • Insurance adjusters are not in a rush to part with any money. They might want releases signed and notarized before ordering a check to be issued.
    • The accounting department of the insurance company has to get around to issuing the check.
    • The mailing department has to physically put the check into the mail.
    • Out-of-state banks might be involved. If so, checks have to clear (usually in 7-10 days) before money can be disbursed.
    • Medicare or Medicaid expenses might be paid directly by the insurance company before the check is sent to your lawyer.

    Although there’s no way to say exactly how long it will take for you to receive your check, an experienced attorney can and will do everything possible to expedite the process.

    Have You Been Injured in a North Charleston Car Accident?

    Our experienced car accident attorneys will move everything along to get your check to you as soon as possible. Please contact us online, start a chat, or call our North Charleston office directly at 843.488.2413 to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients throughout Horry County and surrounding areas, so we’re sure to have an office near you. 

  • How do insurance companies value car accident claims in Mt. Pleasant, SC?

    If you’ve been hurt in a Mt. Pleasant car accident, the at-fault driver’s insurance company is legally bound to evaluate your claim for damages in good faith. That means the company is supposed to be fair, reasonable, and honest about compensating you for your medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. 

    North Charleston Car Accident Settlement Value Derrick Law Firm

    While fairness, reason, and honesty are positive traits we normally associate with human beings, the insurance company actually works hard to remove the human element from the process of claim evaluation. It uses data mining and artificial intelligence to evaluate your claim by computer, according to a formula that multiplies your “special damages” by a certain factor. The factor is determined by analyzing statistics from settlements and trials of cases similar to yours.

    Special Damages Following A Mt. Pleasant Car Accident

    Your special damages are basically your financial losses due to the accident. They generally include:

    • Medical expenses
    • Lost wages
    • Property damage

    Once the computer generates these numbers, the insurance adjuster multiplies them by a factor from approximately one to five to estimate the value of your total claim, including pain and suffering. This gives the company an idea of the award you might be granted by a judge or jury if your case should go to trial. If you accept a settlement that’s less than what you might be awarded in court, the insurance company saves the cost of a trial. Its goal is to dispute, deny, or devalue your claim in order to pay you the least amount of money possible.

    How the Factor Is Determined In Your South Carolina Car Accident Settlement

    If your medical bills are comparatively low, the adjuster assumes your injuries were not so serious. They'll multiply your special damages by a fairly low factor, perhaps between one and two.

    If your medical bills are very high, this indicates you were probably hospitalized for a time and perhaps needed long-term treatment and/or physical therapy. A longer recovery period means more physical and mental pain and suffering, so the adjuster might multiply your special damages by a larger factor between three and five to determine the award you could get in court if your case went to trial.

    There are also other variables to consider in the evaluation of your personal injury claim:

    • How soon after the accident you sought medical treatment. If you waited for months, the adjuster assumes your pain and suffering were not extreme. If they were, you would have sought treatment sooner.
    • Whether you received excessive, unnecessary treatment like long-term chiropractic care or extensive physical therapy.
    • Whether you had pre-existing conditions that were aggravated rather than caused by the accident.
    • Your age.
    • Any partial fault you might bear. 

    Your First Settlement Offer Will Be Low

    Because your award depends on the numbers generated by the computer, the information that goes into the system is important to your case. That’s why you need the services of a personal injury lawyer, who understands the formula for calculating your award. The insurance company knows that you’re probably not an expert in this area and will offer you a low settlement, especially if you don’t have legal representation. 

    Your attorney can do many things to strengthen your case and be sure that all the proper data is in the insurance company’s systems when it calculates your award:

    • Get statements from witnesses.
    • Obtain police reports.
    • Gather detailed medical records.
    • Provide extensive photographic evidence of your injuries and property damage.
    • Hire an independent investigator.
    • Collect dashcam or security-video footage of the accident.
    • Put a dollar value on your damages.
    • Negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement.
    • File a lawsuit and go to court if necessary.

    For all of these reasons, you should never accept the insurance company’s first offer. It might be as little as 40% of what your case is actually worth. Such an offer is always negotiable and should be referred to your lawyer. 

    Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident in Mt. Pleasant? 

    Take the first step toward getting fair compensation by consulting an experienced car accident attorney. Please contact us online, start a chat, or call our Mt. Pleasant office directly at 843.488.3226 to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients throughout Horry County and surrounding areas, so we’re sure to have an office near you.

  • May I collect unemployment insurance and workers’ compensation at the same time in Horry County?

    In most cases, no. Although there are some rare exceptions, you generally may not collect both unemployment benefits and workers’ compensation at the same. There are significant differences between the two programs in terms of eligibility. 

    Horry County SC Workers' Compensation Lawyer Derrick Law Firm

    Eligibility for Unemployment Insurance In South Carolina

    South Carolina unemployment insurance (UI) is paid for by employers’ tax contributions. The general guidelines for eligibility are:

    • You’re currently unemployed. 
    • The loss of your most recent job was not your fault.
    • You are able and available to work in any suitable position.
    • You are actively searching for work each week that you file a certification for UI benefits.
    • You’ve earned at least $4,455 from covered employment during your base period.
    • In your base period’s highest-earnings quarter, you earned at least $1,092 from an employer paying UI taxes.
    • Your total base period wages are at least 1.5 times your highest quarterly wage total. 

    Your standard base period is the first four of the last five calendar quarters before the start date of your claim. If your standard base period numbers do not qualify you for UI, you might qualify for benefits according to your alternate base period, which includes the four most recent calendar quarters before your claim’s effective date. 

    The only way to be sure whether you qualify for UI is to file an initial claim with the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce (DEW). Even if you are eligible for UI on the basis of earnings in your base period, you can be disqualified if:

    • You left your most recent job without good cause.
    • You retired voluntarily.
    • You were fired for cause.
    • You were fired for misconduct connected to your job.
    • You lost your job by participating in a labor strike.

    Eligibility for Workers’ Compensation In Horry County

    Workers’ compensation is no-fault insurance coverage for employees who suffer work-related injuries or illnesses. Every South Carolina employer with four or more employees is required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. To collect workers’ comp:

    • You must be an employee.
    • Your employer must carry workers’ compensation insurance.
    • You must have a work-related injury or illness.
    • You must meet deadlines for reporting your injury/illness and for filing a workers’ comp claim.

    If you are eligible, workers’ comp pays for your medical expenses and up to two-thirds of wages lost due to your work-related injury or illness. Your employer may not fire you or retaliate against you in any other way for filing a claim, and you do not have to prove your employer was negligent or did anything wrong. Even if you caused your own injury on the job, you may still collect benefits as long as you meet two crucial deadlines:

    • Report your injury/illness to your employer within 90 days.
    • File your claim for workers’ comp within two years. 

    These deadlines might be extended if: 

    • Your employer already knows about your accident/injury.
    • You were physically or mentally unable to notify the employer.
    • You have a repetitive motion injury that develops over time, rather than a one-time accident causing an immediate injury. 

    Unemployment Insurance and Workers’ Compensation Are Mutually Exclusive

    To receive unemployment insurance, you must be able and available to work. To receive workers’ compensation, you must be unable to work due to your injury or illness. Because you cannot meet both of these criteria at the same time, you cannot be considered eligible for both types of benefits. Trying to collect benefits for which you aren’t eligible is fraud—which could lead to criminal and/or civil penalties. 

    The only possible exception to this rule would occur if you are receiving workers’ compensation payments for permanent partial disability (PPD). In this case, you might be working with restrictions at a reduced salary while actively seeking another job that you can perform with the physical limitations caused by your work-related injury. In such a case, you could be eligible for both workers' comp and UI. An experienced workers’ comp lawyer can help you through the complicated process of filing for and receiving both types of benefits. 

    Are You Unable to Work Due to a Job-Related Injury in Horry County?

    Learn about your options by consulting an experienced workers’ comp attorney and downloading our free book, The Truth About Your South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Claim. Please contact us online, start a chat, or call our Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, or Conway office directly at 843.488.2359 to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients throughout Horry County and surrounding areas, so we’re sure to have an office near you. 


  • I think I made a mistake talking to the at-fault driver's insurance company. What should I do?

    Consult a personal injury lawyer ASAP. You’re not legally required to speak to adjusters from the insurance company of a negligent driver who injured you in an accident.

    The insurance adjusters are likely to call you shortly after the accident, sounding friendly and compassionate. They’ll inquire about your health and say they are just asking some routine questions so they can get you a settlement as soon as possible. Unfortunately, none of what they say is true.

    What the Insurance Adjuster Wants Following A South Carolina Car Accident

    The insurance adjuster’s job is to keep the insurance company profitable by denying as many claims as they can and giving low settlements to claimants they can’t deny. Their real reasons for calling you are to:

    • Catch you when you’re not thinking clearly because of trauma and/or medication
    • Ask you to make a recorded or written statement
    • Ask misleading questions to confuse and make you misspeak or contradict yourself
    • Ask for a blanket medical authorization to get all your records
    • Get enough information to “friend” you on social media
    • Discourage you from hiring an attorney
    • Offer you a quick, low settlement before you have a chance to see a personal injury lawyer and find out what your case is worth

    The adjuster will compare your recorded or written statement to police reports, depositions, and other accounts of your accident. If you’ve misstated anything or forgotten some detail that creates a discrepancy, the adjuster will use it to question the validity of your claim. A medical authorization can be used to look for pre-existing conditions that the adjuster will cite as evidence your injuries were not caused by the accident. An insurance adjuster might even send you an anonymous social media friend request, hoping you’ll post something about your injuries that can be used to dispute your claim or offer you a low award. 

    Controlling the Damage

    After getting the insurance adjuster’s name, title, company, and contact information, you should simply say that your attorney will handle communication on your behalf. Keep in mind the following:

    • Do not admit any fault, full or partial.
    • Do not give any information about your accident, injuries, level of pain, or medical history. 
    • Disclose no more than your full name, address, phone number, and email address. 
    • Don’t give an adjuster your Social Security number. It provides access to private information.

    If you’ve already given an insurance adjuster information that could affect your claim, it’s not too late for you to retain an attorney. You may do so at any stage of the claims process, and the sooner, the better. 

    After learning the details of your case and finding out what information the insurance adjuster has, your lawyer needs as much time as possible to build a strong case and overcome the insurance company’s advantage by:

    • Obtaining police reports
    • Hiring an independent investigator if necessary
    • Providing extensive photographic evidence of your physical injuries and property damage
    • Collecting dashcam or security video footage of the accident, the scene, skid marks, damaged guardrails, or other evidence
    • Gathering detailed medical records of your accident-related injuries, treatment, care plan, and prognosis
    • Getting statements from witnesses to the accident and from expert witnesses who can support your claim of negligence and strengthen your case
    • Putting a dollar value on your damages, so that you know what award is reasonable
    • Negotiating with the insurance company for a fair settlement
    • Filing a lawsuit and going to court if necessary

    While talking to an insurance adjuster can make it harder to prove your claim, it doesn’t mean that you will fail. An experienced personal injury attorney can go to work on building a case strong enough to overcome the damage that’s been done and get you the compensation you deserve.

    Have You Talked to an Insurance Adjuster in North Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, or the Greater Charleston area? 

    Take the first step toward damage control by consulting an experienced car accident attorney. Please contact us online, start a chat, or call our Charleston office directly at 843.488.2359 to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients throughout Horry County and surrounding areas, so we’re sure to have an office near you. 

  • I was hurt on the job months ago but failed to report my injury or file a workers’ comp claim. Now I’m suffering from pain. What can I do?

    Contact a workers’ compensation attorney to learn about your options. If you work for a South Carolina company or business that has four or more employees, your employer is required to carry workers’ compensation insurance, which is no-fault coverage for employees who suffer work-related injuries or illnesses. 

    If you are hurt on the job, you have 90 days to report the injury to your employer. The statute of limitations then gives you two years from the date of the accident to file a workers’ compensation claim for your medical expenses and up to two-thirds of wages lost due to your injury or illness. Your employer may not fire you or retaliate against you in any other way for filing a workers’ comp claim.

    Exceptions to the Statute of Limitations Following A Horry County, SC Workers' Compensation Claim

    In general, if you fail to report your injury to your employer within 90 days and/or fail to file your workers’ comp claim within two years, the statute of limitations will run out, your claim will be barred, and you will receive no benefits. There are, however, some exceptions to these deadlines:

    Repetitive trauma injuries.

    Unlike most work-related injuries, which occur on a particular date when an accident happens, repetitive trauma injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, back trouble, or hearing loss develop over time. If you suffer this kind of injury, you have 90 days from the time you know that you have the condition to report it and two years from that time to file your workers’ comp claim—as long as it has been no more than seven years since you were last exposed to repetitive trauma at work.

    Occupational diseases.

    Asbestosis, dermatitis, knee/elbow/shoulder conditions, and other such diseases also develop over time, so you cannot report them until you know about them. Once you’ve been diagnosed with such a disease, you must report it within 90 days and file your workers’ comp claim within the two-year statute of limitations.

    Employer’s knowledge.

    If it is clear that your employer knows about your accident/injury, you have no duty to report it, but you still have only two years to file your claim.

    Injured minors.

    If you are under the age of 18 when you sustain your injury, the statute of limitations “tolls” or pauses until your 18th birthday—after which you have two years to file your claim.

    Physical or mental disability.

    If you are unable to report your injury because of physical or mental disability, the statute of limitations tolls until you are able to do so or until you pass away. Then, either you or your surviving family members have two years to file a claim.  

    Death claims.

    If a worker dies as a result of a fatal workplace accident or disease, surviving family members do not have to report the death within 90 days. They do, however, have to file a workers’ comp death claim within the two-year statute of limitations. If the employee is given a diagnosis of a terminal condition weeks or months before passing away, the statute might not toll, so it is best to report a fatal diagnosis to the employer soon after it’s received.

    South Carolina No-Fault Workers’ Compensation Claims Accompanied by Personal Injury Lawsuits  

    A workers’ compensation claim does not have to prove any wrongdoing or negligence by the employer. The injured worker can receive benefits regardless of whose fault the accident is. In some cases, though, there might be a negligent third party involved. For example, if a truck driver is injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver who has no connection to the trucking company, the trucker has three years to sue that negligent driver, but the statute of limitations for the workers’ comp claim is still just two years. An experienced lawyer can help you to file your claim and/or lawsuit within the proper time period. 

    Have You Failed to Report Your Horry County Work-Related Injury Within the Legal Time Limit?

    Find out if any of the above exceptions apply to you by consulting an experienced workers’ comp attorney. Please contact us online, start a chat, or call our Charleston office directly at 843.488.2359 to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients throughout Horry County and surrounding areas, so we’re sure to have an office near you. 

  • Can I lose my job for filing a workers’ compensation claim in South Carolina?

    No, not legally. If you work for a South Carolina company or business that has four or more employees, your employer is required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. This is no-fault coverage for employees who suffer work-related injuries or illnesses. Every employee (except for federal workers, railroad employees, and a few others) is covered. If you’ve been hurt on the job, you may file a claim with your employer’s insurance company for your medical expenses and for temporary disability benefits to make up for wages lost due to your work-related injury or illness. 

    Horry County South Carolina Workers' Compensation Lawyer The Derrick Law Firm

    Although some injured employees might hesitate to file workers’ compensation claims because they fear they’ll be fired, it is not legal for your employer to terminate your employment for filing a worker’s comp claim. Doing so would be considered retaliatory termination, which is against the law. Millions of employees across the country file successful workers’ compensation claims every year.

    Protection for Injured Workers In Horry County, South Carolina

    South Carolina law does not allow an employer to fire a worker who has filed a workers’ compensation claim. If companies were permitted to do so, they would have no incentive to keep their workplaces safe and secure. They could simply terminate any injured complainer and ignore the unsafe conditions that caused the employee’s accident and injury. Workplaces would become more dangerous places, and more accidents, injuries, and illnesses would result. The South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission (SCWCC) protects injured workers because it wants employers to invest in workplace safety and reduce the chances of accidents and injuries on the job. 

    Indirect Retaliation Is Also Illegal If You've Been Injured On The Job

    Although South Carolina law prohibits direct retaliatory termination, it is possible that your employer might try to retaliate indirectly against you by saying that your former position has been eliminated or that you are no longer physically able to carry out your essential job duties. For this reason, all of the following actions are prohibited by the SCWCC:

    • Forced leave
    • Workplace harassment 
    • Discriminatory treatment
    • Retaliatory termination

    You are protected against such actions from the time of your accident and injury, even before you file your claim. After you’ve filed, your employer is required to keep you on until your doctor decides you’ve reached maximum medical improvement (MMI). At that time, when you have recovered to the extent your doctor feels is possible, the company must make a reasonable attempt to accommodate any restrictions that result from the injuries you sustained and let you resume your duties. The SCWCC wants injured employees to continue working at their jobs if at all possible. 

    Do Not Wait to File For Workers' Compensation In Horry County

    If you’ve suffered a work-related injury in South Carolina, you should immediately:

    • Report your accident and injury to your employer.
    • Report your accident and injury to whoever handles workers’ comp cases in your workplace.
    • File a workers’ compensation claim with your employer’s insurance carrier. 
    • Seek medical attention from the doctor recommended by the insurance company.
    • Follow this doctor’s advice and treatment recommendations carefully. 

    Although you have 90 days to report your injury, you should not wait to do so. Filing your claim as soon as possible increases your chance of success. You don’t want to give the insurance company any reason to say your injury was not serious or that you made it worse by not getting timely treatment or not following the doctor’s orders.

    If the insurance company disputes your claim or you believe you’ve been unjustly fired, harassed, or discriminated against in retaliation for filing, an experienced attorney can help you to request a hearing before the SCWCC or to file a retaliatory termination lawsuit against your employer. 

    Have You Been Fired in Retaliation for Filing a Worker’s Compensation Claim in South Carolina?

    Take the first step toward justice by consulting an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. Please contact us online, start a chat, or call our Charleston office directly at 843.488.2359 to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients throughout Horry County and surrounding areas, so we’re sure to have an office near you. We accept cases on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay no attorney fees until we win your case.

  • How much does a Charleston motorcycle accident attorney cost to handle my claim?

    While motorcycles are seen as a fun and cost-effective way to travel, motorcycle accidents can be very dangerous and often include serious injuries. These injuries often include hospital stays and missed time from work.

    In the event of a motorcycle accident in the Charleston area, it is important to discuss your accident with an experienced accident attorney who can quickly investigate the accident and obtain any evidence that may be needed to support your claim.

    The Derrick Law Firm works on a contingency fee basis, meaning the client only pays for the work their attorney does if the claim is successful and a settlement is reached. The lawyer and client agree upon the fee and then when the claim is settled, the insurance company pays the attorney who then takes his fee and passes the remaining funds to the client. If the case is not successful, the client does not pay attorney fees and may only be responsible for costs like filing fees, deposing witnesses, and obtaining medical records.

    Have You Been Injured In A South Carolina Motorcycle Accident?

    If you've been injured in motorcycle accident you need to speak with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Conway, South Carolina office directly at 843.248.7486 to schedule your free consultation. We are also able to meet clients at our Myrtle Beach, Murrells Inlet, Mt. Pleasant, Columbia, North Myrtle Beach or North Charleston office locations.

  • Am I covered by workers' comp if I'm injured on my way to or from my job in Myrtle Beach?

    Workers’ compensation is available to help employees injured on the job, but there are exceptions. You may find it difficult to get coverage from workers’ compensation if you were hurt on the way to or from a job site due to what’s known as the “going and coming” rule. It’s important to understand how this rule works and if it applies to your situation.
    Worker's Compensation Attorney Derrick Law Firm

    When Workers’ Comp May Cover Your Traveling Injury

    In many cases, your injury simply won’t be covered under workers’ compensation if it occurred while walking, driving, or taking public transportation to work or back home. However, there are potential exceptions to this rule, and that’s why it's important to enlist the aid of a legal team that knows how the system works. An experienced workers’ comp lawyer may be able to help if:
    You were hurt while running an errand at your employer’s request
    You were injured while performing job-mandated duties along the way to or from work
    You were injured on a route that is inherently dangerous and directly maintained by your employer, or it is the only way to access your work location
    Your transportation method was directly provided by your employer, or you were compensated for the travel time
    It's important to know that workers’ compensation isn’t usually available when simply driving to or from your daily shift or to a mandatory staff meeting. However, the coming and going rule doesn’t apply when performing an unusual service that falls outside your normal duties such as coming home after traveling outside your usual route for a work emergency.
    If you think you may qualify for an exception to the rule, you need to contact an attorney with substantial workers’ compensation experience to help you receive the most possible compensation while dealing with a debilitating injury.

    Have You Been Injured On The Job And Need To File A Workers' Compensation Claim?

    If you've been hurt at your job you need to speak with an experienced workers' compensation attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Conway, South Carolina office directly at 843.248.7486 to schedule your free consultation. We are also able to meet clients at our Myrtle Beach, Murrells Inlet, Mt. Pleasant, North Myrtle Beach or North Charleston office locations.

  • How much does it cost to hire a wrongful death attorney in Myrtle Beach?

    The devastating personal loss of an unexpected death is often coupled with the potential for extensive medical bills and the loss of income from your deceased loved one.
    Myrtle Beach Wrongful Death Lawyer The Derrick Law Firm
    When a person or company needs to be held responsible for negligent actions, you may be concerned about how to afford a wrongful death attorney.
    Even if you are financial struggling, an experienced Myrtle Beach lawyer can fight on your behalf to hold the negligent party responsible for your loved one’s passing and help you get the compensation you deserve.

    Handling the Costs of a Myrtle Beach Wrongful Death Case

    Regardless of your financial situation, it’s important to find a skilled South Carolina attorney after a wrongful death. Since you are already dealing with a stressful and financially draining situation, wrongful death lawyers often work on a contingency basis.
    Using a contingency payment method means you pay no upfront money to hire a lawyer. Rather than charging you an hourly rate, the attorney instead takes payment out of the settlement won for the wrongful death.
    With a contingency fee arrangement, you don’t have to pay until the case is settled, which can be especially helpful if the deceased was the primary source of income for your family.  

    Costs Associated with a South Carolina Wrongful Death Case

    While adjusting to life after such an overwhelming loss, you don’t need to spend your time hunting down documents and chasing after insurance companies. A Myrtle Beach wrongful death attorney will handle these aspects of your case without requiring any upfront payment:
    Hiring investigators
    Gathering police reports and medical documents
    Calling on expert witnesses
    Paying court filing fees
    Negotiating with insurance adjusters
    There’s another extremely important reason to retain a knowledgeable legal team in this difficult time of your life. An insurance carrier or the negligent party responsible for your family member’s death may offer a settlement that is much lower than the total amount you could otherwise receive. Through the help of a firm with experience negotiating wrongful death cases, you will more likely receive the maximum amount you are legally owed.

    Has Your Loved One Died To The Negligence Of Others?

    If you're loved one has died due someone else's negligence you need to speak with an experienced wrongful death attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Myrtle Beach, South Carolina office directly at 843.488.3165 to schedule a free consultation. We are also able to meet clients at our Conway, Murrells Inlet, Mt. Pleasant, North Myrtle Beach or North Charleston office locations.

  • How is a Myrtle Beach truck accident different from a car accident?

    While the majority of auto accidents in South Carolina occur between two passenger vehicles, crashes involving larger trucks are also a common occurrence. Even if you’re a safe driver and remain aware of the dangers of large trucks, collisions still happen. 
    Myrtle Beach SC Truck Accident Lawyer Derrick Law Firm
    More than 1,000 injuries are reported each year across South Carolina due to truck crashes, and what causes this type of accident is different from what causes a car accident. If you were injured in a Myrtle Beach truck accident, a local attorney who understands those differences may be able to help you recover damages.

    Different Causes and Injuries for Truck Accidents

    Because trucks are larger than cars and carry heavy cargo, accidents with a truck are often caused by different factors and result in different types of injuries than those with a car. The causes of a truck accident can include:  
    Wider blind spots
    Shifting cargo that was loaded improperly
    Rest period log violations
    Negligence on the part of the trucking company
    Because catastrophic injuries are more likely if you collide with a truck rather than with a smaller vehicle, your potential for a larger settlement goes up based on the extent of your injuries and property damage. You may have a right to compensation for:
    Broken bones
    Permanent disfigurement and scarring
    Spinal cord or brain injuries
    Lost limbs or amputations
    Ongoing medical treatment
    Assistive care
    Loss of consortium
    Loss of work potential
    Intangible damage such as pain and emotional suffering
    There’s no need to deal with these injuries alone. You should seek the aid of a Myrtle Beach attorney who has experience obtaining the highest compensation possible for injuries caused by truck collisions. Because of the potential for such a large payout, an attorney is critical in helping you deal with insurance companies or at-fault parties who are likely to push back against payment.

    Possible at-Fault Parties for Truck Accidents

    Unlike a car crash on a street or highway where one driver is often at fault, there may be multiple at-fault parties in a truck accident. Our legal team may be able to show that the trucking company is also liable for damages due to:
    Poor hiring practices
    Training lapses
    Negligent supervision
    Lax retention policies
    Entrusting vehicles to unqualified drivers
    Failing to maintain trucks
    Additionally, manufacturers may be liable due to faulty truck parts. With the aid of a skilled South Carolina personal injury attorney, you may be able to bring a case against any or all of these parties.

    Have You Been Injured In A South Carolina Area Truck Accident?

    If you or a loved one was injured in a commercial truck accident in South Carolina, our experienced truck accident lawyers are ready to help right away. Contact us online, or call our Myrtle Beach, South Carolina office directly at 843.488.3165 to schedule your free consultation. We are also able to meet clients at our Conway, Murrells Inlet, Mt. Pleasant, North Myrtle Beach or North Charleston office locations.