The Top 10 Things to do after a car wreck, truck accident, motorcycle crash or a personal injury of any kind are:
1. Call 911 to report the accident and get medical help.
2. Get examined by EMS if you are hurt.
3. If anyone claims to be a witness, ask them to talk with and leave their name and number with the investigating trooper or police officer.
4. If you are injured, get checked out at the hospital.
5. You will get an FR-10 report from the trooper, take it to your insurance company.
6. Unless you understand auto insurance coverages and how they work with other coverages, contact an experienced accident attorney to make sure you don’t waive valuable benefits.
(The Derrick Law Firm provides a free service of looking at your insurance policy and advising you regarding your coverages.)
7. If you are hurt, seek follow up medical care with a physician who has experience in treating your type of injuries.
8. Don’t go to a doctor arranged by a law firm. Some attorneys send clients to certain doctors. A doctor who is working for a law firm has very little credibility with insurance companies or in court.
9. Be completely honest with everyone who treats your injuries. Let them know of any and all existing problems you had, everything; Let them know how the wreck occurred and each and every problem you have due to the wreck. Make sure you report everything, even if it is a minor problem at the time. Additionally, be completely honest about the degree of your pain and limitations.
10. Download "The Truth About Your South Carolina Injury Claim" before signing medical release or release and before giving a recorded statement.
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident, you may need an experienced personal injury attorney to help you receive the benefits you need. Contact The Derrick Law Firm for a free case review at 843-484-0707.