When the temperatures rise, you will find more people enjoying outdoor activities like boating and water sports. With a greater number of commercial and recreational boaters and personal watercraft on South Carolina’s waterways, lakes, and rivers, it is no surprise that there has been an increase in accidents in recent years. In a split second, your life could be changed dramatically as accidents on the water often involve serious and catastrophic injuries.
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident on the water in the Myrtle Beach area, it is important to speak with a Myrtle Beach boat and jet ski accident attorney right away. At The Derrick Law Firm, we can help you pursue the compensation you need for injuries sustained in a boating or jet skiing accident.
Common Causes of Boating and Jet Skiing Accidents
The law requires that boat operators and watercraft riders exercise the highest degree of care when on the water. If they fail to exercise due care, there is an increased risk to swimmers, boat passengers, operators, and anyone else located in and around the vessel or watercraft.
Some of the common causes of accidents can include:
- Adverse weather conditions
- Inexperienced boater or operator
- Drinking or doing drugs while operating the boat or watercraft
- Boating equipment failure
- Falling overboard
- Distracted boater or operator
There are some situations in which an accident is truly an accident, but in most cases, something like impairment, speeding, or other reckless behavior is the cause. Acting recklessly and speeding can cause serious injuries or death in some cases.
Types of Injuries Commonly Seen in Boating Accidents
There are a number of injuries that are commonly seen in boating and watercraft accidents. Some of these include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash injuries are common in car accidents as well as boating accidents. Whiplash involves a sudden shock to the head and body that causes injury to the neck.
- Brain Injuries: A brain injury can occur in several different ways. The first is through oxygen deprivation caused when someone is under water too long or subjected to carbon monoxide from a running engine. The second way a brain injury occurs is from an impact, like being tossed against a bulkhead during a collision.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries are common in boating accidents involving a substantial impact. The impact of a boat going up and down on the waves can also cause a compression injury to the spinal cord. A herniated disk is a common spinal compression injury.
- Drowning: Even people who know how to swim can be swept away and drown. If they suffer brain trauma or other injuries before landing in the water, it could keep them from being able to swim.
Fatalities are rather common in boating accidents due to a combination of circumstances. Alcohol use tends to be a factor in a large percentage of incidents. With a fatality, surviving family members may have the legal right to bring a wrongful death claim. Your South Carolina personal injury attorney can advise you what legal options are available in your particular case.
Contact a Myrtle Beach Boating and Jet Skiing Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in a boating or jet skiing accident in South Carolina, contact The Derrick Law Firm today at 800-704-5412 to schedule a free consultation.
Voted Best Law Firm by the readers of the Myrtle Beach Herald and Best Attorney by the readers of the Horry Independent, The Derrick Law Firm has the experience and reputation to get clients the benefits they need in a timely manner and to treat each client like family along the way.