In March 2017, two men working for the SCDOT were killed when a reckless driver ran off the road.
Lawmakers have since worked together to create tougher work zone safety laws that will encourage drivers to maintain appropriate speed and care when entering work zones.
South Carolina Governor McMaster is in favor of the bill that would increase fines for those that disobey the work zone laws.
Some of the changes include the following:
- If speeding, a driver can receive a fine up to $1000.
- If a driver hits and injures a worker, he may be fined up to $2000.
- Speeding in a work zone equals 2 points on the driver's license.
- Injuring a worker is 4 points.
- If worker suffers great bodily harm, 6 points will be applied to the license.
Accidents can happen but following the laws help reduce the likelihood of crashes. Some accidents happen on the job by no fault of the worker. If you find yourself hurt at work, or injured by another driver, you may need a Personal Injury Attorney to get you the medical benefits you need.
Have You Been Injured On The Job?
If you've been hurt at your job you need to speak with an experienced workers' compensation attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Conway, South Carolina office directly at 843.484.0707 to schedule your free consultation. We are also able to meet clients at our Myrtle Beach, Murrells Inlet, Mt. Pleasant, Columbia, North Myrtle Beach or North Charleston office locations.