What damages can I recover after my Myrtle Beach motorcycle accident?

Dirk J. Derrick
Connect with me
South Carolina Lawyer Dirk Derrick helps victims recover from car accidents, personal injury & wrongful death.
With major motorcycle gatherings in the city, Myrtle Beach frequently sees large numbers of motorcyclists on area streets. However, it only takes one negligent driver to turn the fun of cruising down the Grand Strand on your bike into a sudden nightmare. 
Myrtle Beach Motorcycle Accident Lawyer The Derrick Law Firm
 
Because motorcycle accidents often involve catastrophic injuries that require more serious medical treatment than those sustained in a car crash, and recovery can be a long, stressful process, you need a skilled personal injury attorney to help you file a motorcycle accident claim and obtain compensation.

Understanding Your Motorcycle Accident Compensation

After a motorcycle accident, you may not fully understand the extent of your injuries and the impact they could have on your life. Thus, it’s important not to accept the first settlement offer you receive from the at-fault party’s insurance company. It’s possible that the severity of your injuries or complications later on will require more money than the insurance company is offering. A skilled South Carolina personal injury lawyer can help you with this and ensure you receive fair compensation. You may seek compensation for:
 
Medical bills directly related to injuries caused by the motorcycle accident
Costs associated with your rehabilitation after the injury
Intangible damage such as pain and suffering
Mental anguish and emotional distress caused by the collision
Disfigurement or other permanent injuries
General physical impairment
Loss of consortium
Property damage such as your damaged motorcycle
Out-of-pocket expenses resulting from the injury, including transportation costs
Lost wages while recovering
Potential permanent reduction or loss of income earning capacity 
 
While an attorney can’t tell you exactly what your claim is worth, he can review your motorcycle crash case and discuss which types of damages may be applicable.

Other Factors That Affect Your Motorcycle Accident Case

While physical injuries and emotional distress are key elements in determining the value of your accident, there are several other factors that may be critical to your compensation.
 
If your Myrtle Beach motorcycle accident was caused by particularly reckless behavior such as driving drunk, additional penalties may apply. In this case, a court may assign punitive damages against the at-fault party, which could impact your settlement amount.
 
An experienced South Carolina motorcycle collision attorney can also assist you even if the accident is partially your fault. State law allows for comparative fault, which means if you’re found partly responsible for the accident, your total amount of compensation could be reduced by your amount of fault. For instance, if you were 10% at fault while the other driver was found to be 90% at fault, your financial award would be reduced by 10%.
 
Additionally, cases involving a death are valued differently from standard Myrtle Beach motorcycle accidents caused by a negligent driver. If you lose a loved one in a motorcycle crash caused by someone else’s negligence, you may have grounds for a wrongful death claim potentially covering:
 
Mental suffering and shock from the loss
Sorrow and grief
Loss of companionship

Safeguard Your Compensation

Motorcycle accidents in Myrtle Beach present unique challenges and are different than other types of accidents or personal injury cases. Our legal team can offer guidance on overcoming prejudice against motorcycle drivers while handling the legwork of dealing with insurance carriers.
 
You don't need to go it alone during this difficult time when trying to mend after a motorcycle accident. A skilled South Carolina personal injury attorney can help ensure you get the full amount due by:
 
Communicating with the other party’s insurance company on your behalf
Negotiating to ensure only your relevant medical documents are released to insurance adjusters
Gathering powerful evidence to show the other driver was at fault

Have You Been Injured In A South Carolina Motorcycle Accident?

If you've been injured in motorcycle accident you need to speak with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Myrtle Beach, South Carolina office directly at 843.488.3165 to schedule your free consultation. We are also able to meet clients at our Conway, Murrells Inlet, Mt. Pleasant, North Myrtle Beach or North Charleston office locations.