Can I choose my own doctor for treatment of a Myrtle Beach work injury?

The South Carolina workers’ compensation system provides medical care to employees who are injured on the job. Under state law, workers have a right to “all necessary medical treatment that is likely to lessen [a worker’s] disability.” It is required, however, for injured workers to follow some guidelines when seeking that care.

Choosing A Doctor Following A Work Injury The Derrick Law Firm

Obtaining Treatment After a Work Injury

At times, a worker is injured so severely that emergency medical care is needed. In these cases of severe or life-threatening injuries, workers’ compensation will cover treatment in an emergency room, which could include testing, medication, hospitalization, and even surgery.

However, for less serious injuries, injured workers are required to seek care with a doctor selected by their employer or its insurance company. When a worker notifies his employer of an injury, the employer should provide information directing the employee to the appropriate care provider. Treatment by another provider won’t be covered by workers’ compensation benefits, and the injured employee has to pay those costs out of pocket.

Changing Doctors for a South Carolina Work Injury

If an injured worker is not happy with the care of the employer-selected doctor, it is possible to request a change. The worker should contact the employer (or its insurance company) to inquire about finding a new provider or fill out a form 50 to request a hearing with the state’s workers’ compensation commission.

Have You Been Injured On The Job And Need To File A Workers' Compensation Claim?

If you've been hurt at your job you need to speak with an experienced workers' compensation attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Conway, South Carolina office directly at 843.248.7486 to schedule your free consultation. We are also able to meet clients at our Myrtle Beach, Murrells Inlet, Mt. Pleasant, North Myrtle Beach or North Charleston office locations.

Dirk J. Derrick
Connect with me
South Carolina Lawyer Dirk Derrick helps victims recover from car accidents, personal injury & wrongful death.