Memorial Weekend will kick off summer vacations along the beaches. In Myrtle Beach and across the Grand Strand, BikeFest will be in action and will bring thousands of additional visitors to the area.
With heavy traffic that is sure to ensue, it is important, especially for bikers, to know how to maneuver traffic and be in control of their vehicle’s safety.
Horry County Government has made 3 main suggestions for riding in heavy traffic:
- Control the Situation
- You cannot control the actions of others but you can do your best to be aware of others and make smart choices to control your situation on the road.
- Do not ride if you are emotional or unhealthy. Your thoughts could be on more than just the road and may hinder your abilities.
- Do not ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Period.
- Keep your Distance
- The best way to maintain control over your motorcycle is to have space between your bike and the car in front of you. Gaps will allow for better reaction times and narrow escapes.
- Keep at least 1-2 car lengths between you and the person in front of you.
- Lane Location
- Lanes have three riding areas: center, right side, and left side.
- Choose the side keeps you furthest from other vehicles and allows you space to move if necessary.
Being aware and following traffic laws are the best way to keep yourself safe this holiday weekend. Motorcycles will be all over the roads and tourists will be trying to find their destination. Look out for them and prepare to slow or stop in the event they do not see you.
If you do become seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, you may need legal help to get medical treatment and your medical bills paid.
Myrtle Beach Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at The Derrick Law Firm have over 29 years of experience in personal injury including auto accidents, motorcycle accidents, slip and falls, workers' comp, wrongful death, and insurance claims.
Voted Best Attorney by the readers of the Horry Independent and Myrtle Beach Herald, The Derrick Law Firm will work to get you the full value of your case.
Call today for your FREE consultation. 843-248-7486
The Derrick Law Firm serves the state of South Carolina and has office locations in Myrtle Beach, Conway, North Myrtle Beach, Charleston, North Charleston, and Mt. Pleasant